Friday, February 5, 2010

The Hurt Locker

The Hurt Locker hurts so good (or hurts so well according to grammar check…but that just doesn’t sound right, or near as corny). Instead of me writing a ton about a movie that has been reviewed to death, I’m gonna keep it short and to the point. It’s pretty damn good. Its not Best Picture good, but it’s a very solid movie. Again, all the major reviews will in fact review the finer points of this film, so allow me to touch on a few things that I didn’t like. I like Guy Pearce as an actor for some very, very odd reason (I know I can’t really figure it out either). Nothing bothers me more in movies than strange cameos by name actors that would have been just as easily played by some no-name guy. Spoiler Alert!!! Guy Pearce is in this movie. Guy Pearce is killed off after 1 minute of screen time in this movie. This strange cameo, although, not as strange as an earlier cameo of his I mentioned (see The Road review), started the movie off on a sour point for me. I totally forgot about this movie making mistake (that’s called alliteration if you were wondering) pretty quickly considering he gets totally blown to shit and the movie only picks upsteam from here. The casting is perfect, even the dude who I’m pretty sure played Tupac in Notorious. No huge name actors in this one (Ralph Fiennes does play a small part), which ends up being a really good thing. Watching Tom Cruise defuse bombs for two hours, in place of Jeremy Renner (who should get some Oscar consideration), would have made this movie unwatchable. It works because they are recognizable enough actors that you know they are pretty solid but not so recognizable that they don’t seem totally believable in their roles. Like I said, its really good. Almost everyone who watches will really like it, or at the very least appreciate why other people really, really liked it, verdict: $$$$ {Really, really close to $$$$$, seriously, Netflix it already).

No comments:

Post a Comment