Monday, April 5, 2010

Clash of the Titans

While it was as life altering a movie going experience as I had hoped, I still really liked Clash of the Titans. Seeing the movie in 3D added almost nothing to that experience. It didn’t detract from the movie too greatly other than it made me think, imagine how cool this could have been had the 3D not be a let down. Regardless, this is still definitely a theatre movie. I’ve heard complaints about how the writing is bad, the acting is flat and the action isn’t really that actiony. While I agree that none of these areas really stood out more than the rest, I felt that they were all quite solid. Worthington, who as you may recall from previous entries, is my boy. He won’t win an Oscar for this but its quite hard to imagine anyone else playing this part. The actress who played Io, Gemma Arterton, was perfectly cast. She and Worthington had a good deal of chemistry, and she more than held her in own in a movie with some fairly big names, plus she’s not bad to look at. Those minor roles were also cast very well. The band of misfit soldiers who accompany Perseus just seem to work as a group. I would have liked it if they could have found a way to focus more on the dynamic between Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes but I don’t see a way to do that without substantially dragging out the major story line. They also talk about the limited character development that occurs, and how Perseus goes from goofy fishermen to legendary warrior almost overnight. It’s a two hour movie; you can’t lay everything out in great detail. The director is giving the audience enough credit that they can figure out that when Perseus is thrust into this environment, his god-like instincts take over and he is able to rise to the challenge in front of him. The monsters looked great; they weren’t quite iconic but they were no way comedic in appearance. I would have liked to have seen them do more with either the battle between Perseus and the Kraken, or Perseus and Hades. However, they have set themselves up quite well for an intense sequel, as much less time would have to be devoted to back story. As somehow who is fascinated by Greek mythology (yes, I did have a girlfriend or two in high school) I really can’t wait to see more installments, as well as other myth-based movies, verdict: $$$$

No comments:

Post a Comment